One of the annual treats I look forward to is a visit to Edinburgh when the Festival and Fringe are on. It’s a time when the normally staid and sensible Scottish capital let’s its hair down and goes just a little bit mad.
I know this post is a little bit behind times but real life does have a way of getting in the way of the best laid plans of mice and men etc.
From where I live in the north west of England it’s a train ride of only a couple of hours to get to Edinburgh and for me the journey is all part of the day. I have a comfy seat, the drinks trolley trundles along the carriage, gorgeous scenery slides past the window and someone else is looking after the driving.
It’s become a bit of a tradition/habit? That an Edinburgh visit starts with a coffee in the Jenner’s branch of Valvona & Crolla. Jenner’s is a department store of the old school variety and non the worse for that. The coffee bar in on one of the upper floors and gives an excellent view over Princes Street and towards the Castle and old town. While Valvona & Crolla is an excellent deli which has been part of the Edinburgh food scene since the 1930’s.
Coffee drunk (and cake eaten) it was then off into the hurley-burley.
Out of a day’s photographs I’ve edited down to a fourteen strong selection, so enough rabbiting on from me, here’s some photos.
Some Other Stuff.
11 replies ›
- GLASGOW. Behold The Necropolis. – lachlansimages
- KENMORE. A Ruin In The Woods. – lachlansimages
- SCOTLAND. In Twelve Images. – lachlansimages
- SCOTLAND. Nine Memories. – lachlansimages
- Edinburgh, The Quickness Of The Hand. – lachlansimages
- EDINBURGH. City At Festival Time. – lachlansimages
- EDINBURGH. A Drink in An Elegant Bar. – lachlansimages
- PERTH. Waiting On A Night Time Station – lachlansimages
- EDINBURGH. Using Your Head To See The Future. – lachlansimages
- MUNLOCHY. The Clootie Well – lachlansimages
- Thunder In The Glens – lachlansimages