It was a friend’s 50th birthday and he decided that an appropriate way to celebrate would be lunch in Edinburgh at the Malt Whisky Society. Three of the attendee’s, Andrew the birthday boy, Niall and myself live in Lancashire, the fourth guest, Gavin lives on the outskirts of Inverness. So train tickets were booked and lunch reservations made.
A travel note, it took as long for Gavin to travel from Inverness to Edinburgh as it did for us to travel up from England, Scotland is by no means a small country.
We all rendezvoused in Jenner’s cafe overlooking Princes Street, there’s a photo of it in a previous Edinburgh post. After a coffee and catching up session it was a taxi to the Malt Whisky Society in Leith where excellent food was provided along with excellent wine. The finale being a measure of a gorgeous cask strength Bowmore single malt.
Extremely happy and satisfied we made our way back into Edinburgh ready for our early evening trains home. There was time in hand though for one last relaxing drink, a little bit of head scratching produced the Cafe Royal in West Register Street, just off Princes Street and convenient for Edinburgh’s Waverley station.
A quiet drink was had in the elegant surroundings and was the perfect end note to what had been a very, very pleasant day.
8 replies ›
- EDINBURGH. A Day At The Fringe. – lachlansimages
- GLASGOW. Behold The Necropolis. – lachlansimages
- SCOTLAND. In Twelve Images. – lachlansimages
- SCOTLAND. Nine Memories. – lachlansimages
- Edinburgh, The Quickness Of The Hand. – lachlansimages
- EDINBURGH. City At Festival Time. – lachlansimages
- PERTH. Waiting On A Night Time Station – lachlansimages
- EDINBURGH. Using Your Head To See The Future. – lachlansimages