In the UK summer is a fickle mistress at the best of times, so scheduling an open air event can mean you’re living a bit dangerously but it’s something we natives have just got used to.
All of that said, this weekend past I went along to the fifth annual Chorley flower show, held as always in the grounds of the delightful Astley Hall, a large manor house dating from Elizabethan times, which stands in Astley Park just on the edge of the town centre of Chorley. I’m not the most expert of gardeners, my late father was the one with the magic green fingers but I do like these events, the atmosphere they have. the tooing and froing of advice and speculation as people try to decide if thier gaden with stand just one more carved wooden duck, steel giraffe or pair of painted convrete welly planters. Then there’s the catching sight of people lost in thought as cascades of colour float past their eyes, watching them playing at garden jigsaws as they work out where they could squeeze in just one more plant.
Its a marvellous event which has grown steadily in size, with more space for exhibitors, an excellent food court area as well as a theatre tent hosting guest speakers and celebrities from the gardening universe. All of this plus the beautiful hall, grounds with a walled garden and woodland walks makes for a full day out.
So while the weather was not at its kindest to be fair but it didn’t put a damper (no pun intended) on the event and as the day progressed and the rain mostly stayed away the event grounds filled and the show blossomed ( no pun etc etc)
Let finish on a bit of stylish jazz.
9 replies ›
- CHORLEY. Flat Iron Market Day. – lachlansimages
- ASTLEY HALL. The Redcoats Are Coming. – lachlansimages
- ASTLEY PARK. The Wall, A Door & Some Chimney Pots. – lachlansimages
- CHORLEY. Snowdrops In Astley Park. – lachlansimages
- CHORLEY. Chorley Live, Music On The Streets. – lachlansimages
- CHORLEY. Waiting For The Bus. – lachlansimages
- Chorley. Leek & Potato Soup – lachlansimages
- CHORLEY. Astley Hall All Lit Up. – lachlansimages
- ASTLEY HALL. Figures In A Walled Garden – lachlansimages